Lord of Skulls

I always find it so much easier to paint to deadlines – and I love entering for competitions on the Bolter and Chainsword, so taking part in the ETL this year was a no-brainer. For my first vow, I wanted to complete the Lord of Skulls that has been sitting quite happily on my desk for some time. I needed to spray it white (as I’d bought it pre-built):

And could then start working on it. Painting became so much easier when I ripped the Lord of Skulls apart:

So much so, that he is now completed! ROT FOR THE ROT GOD; PUS FOR THE PUS THRONE!

Feels great to have completed a thousand points already, huzzah!

Unsure what I’ll vow next, but it’s a great start!

Advertisements

Blight Drones

One of the additions to my army has been Blight Drones: a second-hand acquisition from a friend who’d tried some conversion work and hadn’t the energy to continue. Naturally, these have joined the Long War in earnest and have been given a new lease of life! It’s been one of the more challenging recent modelling projects I’ve done, and I hope you like the effort that’s gone into them.

I made a start by repairing all of the issues, smoothing out defects and priming white over the previous coat. As you can see, at this stage I’ve blocked out all the decaying metal – next step will be to bring out all the flesh tone, before we start washing and weathering.

After that, the flesh!

I’d done all the flesh, a few washes here and there and most of the detailing. Here’s the back of one of them:

Hopefully looking suitably vile. My concern was that at that moment the flesh was just a bit too light, so I brought that up a shade with a drybrush/highlight combo. It has a nice tone to it, but it’s not perfect – and I didn’t feel it necessarily complimented either the decaying parts, or the armour particularly well. I wanted the spotty boils to stand out – so I needed to take a different tack to make sure it really did contrast with the strong metal orange tones.

I thought that by making the flesh more pallid it’d create the perfect contrast, and still look suitably sickly. So the skin tone was redone and there’s been a stiff highlight around the armour plating. I’ll still need to weather that further, but it’s shaping up at least! It does give the right contrast and leaves you in no doubt what is flesh and what is armour.

And, when the bases came… things started to fall into place:

I started off with the following:

I then proceeded (with help from Dad, cheers!) to cut the pieces of acrylic rod to about four inches each, before drilling into both the sphincter of the drone and through the base also:

Pushing the PVC into the hole created, I was then able to see how long I actually wanted it in the base before sawing off any excess.

I then secured this with superglue, added the tank trap from some spare FW resin blocks, and then used some liquid GS just to fill any necessary gaps.

With the aid of a hot glue gun, I then went and did the following:

To create the slime etc. coming from their rear, it was basically a case of layering and just letting it flow so it was pretty uneven and looking like watery slime trailing behind them and propelling them forward.

But naturally, I couldn’t stop there. We needed to get some colour on that bad boy! Now traditional inks didn’t work: they left the majority clear and simply ran off. So, a quick drybrush/paint of Rhinox Hide gave it a nice brown tone. I then proceeded to undercoat the base (which had been washed with the FW block prior to the gluing stage) in black.

The next step was using the Army Painter Quickshade from the tin: which leaves a glossy finish! I knew I’d have a use for this again! So on that went, quite liberally, before I returned to drybrushing the base in a dark grey and a thick black wash over the top. This was then given another highlight with a lighter grey and a thinner coat of black wash thereafter for detail. I added barbed wire and a stiff highlight on the traps as some final detailing for the time being!

Which leaves me with the following:

Then as a unit from the side too:

And some individual ones!

I really hope you like them!

I’m currently unsure as to what’s next on them – I might weather the armour slightly more, and perhaps a little highlight on the slime, but I’m pretty stoked at the moment as to how these have turned out. As ever, please chuck any comments and criticism my way – if it’ll help improve them, I’m always game to listen!

Thank you all as ever for your support and belief!